Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Rest of the Story

Let me finish this thing once and for all. So we drove down a side-road next to Glory 2 Glory. It was an uneven one, with houses on either side and people walking around. Finally, we drove into the parking lot of this automotive place. It was about two stories. Most automotive mechanic places in Nigeria don't have the right equipment. Actually, the mechanics do a trial and error thing to find out what's wrong with the car. Most of the time, they break it further! So we went inside, my dad saying he had to do something with someone about some car. Don't ask me what. I was just following along for the ride. We went to the lifts (these people had the right equipment) and looked at this '09 Infiniti. I don't know the exact build. A whole bunch of mechanics were swarming around it, trying to figure out what was wrong. Even though they had good tools, they did not get good training. They were as good as the regular mechanics, which is bad. They looked pretty confused, and they didn't seem very organized. I just stood and watched. My Dad jumped in and started looking at everything for about...mmm...I don't know....fifteen minutes?! It doesn't sound that long, but think about it; I'm not into fixing cars, there was nothing to do, and there was nothing to look at. It felt like a lifetime. So I went back inside for a minute, messing around with this HP tablet PC. It was interesting, but definitely not for me. Just by looking at it, I knew it graphics and CPU wasn't high enough for me to do some real gaming. It would probably be extremely choppy. Finally, my Dad came back with a few of the mechanics, and they took the laptop up the stairs. I followed. We went up to the second level, which could only be accessed by some really freaky stairs. They were outside, and since the building wasn't completely finished yet, there were no rails! I really didn't want to fall from that height. It would hurt. But, we went up to the top, and they were on the computer, pointing at the "miscombotulator" and "finisher clamp," or something strange like that. And they stayed there for what felt like two lifetimes. I just looked out the windows, waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And waiting. And finally getting up, and going back downstairs. Then, they went back to the car, and worked on it some more! Which took three lifetimes! And they took it off the lift, and started using a device called the scanner. Which took four lifetimes! I thought I'd stay there till I turned 80, but finally, we said good-bye, and went. Happily. But I'm not done yet! Far from it! I suggested that we should get some more Rice Krispies from Glory 2 Glory; we were running out. So we got that since it was only just next door, and got back in the car. We drove over to "town" (main part of Ife), and got some bulbs. Our house's old bulbs had started to die out. Then we were about to drive home (happily) when my Dad remembered inconveniently that we had to go all the way back to town and get some shovels. So we did that, which took five lifetimes, and finally came back home. Thank goodness!

Signing off,
The Traveler

No comments: