Saturday, May 25, 2013

Stuff Can Get Boring

That title might seem like an obvious (and vague) thing to say.

Well, I can agree. But it got your attention, right? :P Anyways, stuff really can get boring. For example, have you ever realized how much you depend on electricity? Stop for a second, and think about what you're using to read this blog. Whether it's a tablet PC, a laptop, a desktop, a smartphone--it has definitely got something to do with electricity. If you're reading this after sunset wait a minute. What if you couldn't turn on the lamp next to you because there was no electricity? You wouldn't be able to read at night. And if you use an electric stove you definitely wouldn't be doing any cooking soon. Do you see where I am going with this? In the modern world with all of it's digital thingamajigs, an individual without access to electricity is seriously handicapped. And trust me, it can be boring; I've experienced this firsthand. I've talked about this frequently in the past so I'm not going to go over how unstable PHCN's service is again. All I'm saying is that you really don't understand how boring things can get without electricity. How can I check my mail? Or even turn on a light?

I've been thinking a lot on the differences between America and Nigeria. I was wrong to say that there wasn't a shock when we came back here. Now, I've changed my mind. I was shocked when we came back to an unstable cycle of power outages and electricity. Whenever PHCN starts to act up, I always wish I have a good book to read. Unfortunately a lot of my books are digital, and battery life doesn't last forever.

The only upside to all of this is that I spend more time with my family and stuff. You know, talking to my parents about some weird video I saw on YouTube or petting one of our cats. And I love drawing, so sometimes I'll just sketch, write things down. I'll get hit with inspiration and I'll write down a chapter or two of my novel. These things are nice, but they shouldn't be forced on us. We should be able to choose when we want to go digital and non-digital. We don't need PHCN to decide that for us.

Signing off,
The Traveler

No comments: