Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Little History

Hey,

I've been reading an old book about Nigerian cultures in our library. The library is really old, so it has a layer of dust on everything. They have everything; The Odyssey, a really old edition of Ripley's Believe it or Not, and a really, REALLY old version of Oxford University's dictionary. So, anyway, my Dad found this book on Nigerian culture in there, and was reading, showing the rest of us how he remembered when the Nigerian National Theater didn't look as crappy as it does now, and how this was there and that was here. After a while, I went and looked at it myself. I was amazed at how much amazing stuff about the different cultures in Nigeria was in there. Like for example, the Yoruba used hieroglyphs to talk long distance with other towns. There was a lot of symbol work going on, like for example, if there is a shrine, and a road leads to it, the people put palm fronds across it. That means, "no trespassing." But if you wanted to talk to your friend down the street, you'd use the talking drum, a drum that sounds like a person speaking Yoruba! It was like a cell phone!!! Other cultures used hieroglyphs, too. It's really interesting to learn about my ancestry, since my Dad is socially and mostly ancestrally on my grandpa's side Yoruba. And they made delicious foods like a paste they made for a rite of passage with kolanut (a really bitter nut, after you eat it, though, it becomes sweet), honey, dried fish, spices, and everything! They also made a sweet called Adun; I'm going to research it after I write this, I wanna know what it is. That's pretty much all I remember right now,

Signing off,
The Traveler

No comments: