Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pidgin English Words

Okay, yesterday I had promised you guys something,

I would post on my blog a bunch of words from the language Pidgin English, so that you can learn a bit of a new language. So I'll show you interjections, full sentences, everything! Now, I can't take all the credit for this, I had a lot of help getting all this stuff together, so here it is.

A = A was derived from the English "I," and can is used in the same way. For example: A know no say. (I don't know that.) "Ai" is another version of A.

A-AH = A-Ah is derived from Yoruba, and it's a lot like "what in the world?!" It can be used in anger, shock, almost any sort of surprising situation, e.g. A-ah, (laughter), wetin be dis? (A-ah, what on Earth is this?)

BONES = Bones has nothing to do with the bones in your body. It's a derivative of English, and it means a pair of sunglasses. Hey, don't ask me how that came about. That's a weird one.

CROOMA = Crooma is derived from English, and it means a gullible, easily cheated person.

DABARU = A derivative of Yoruba, Dabaru means confusion, and disorganization. For example: Hey - make una no bring dat matter come dabaru dis meeting, o, ehen! (Listen, you guys don't introduce that matter at this meeting, got it?)

GAAN = Gaan is derived from Yoruba. It means precisely, without a doubt. For example, E vex am gaan. (It angered him/her a whole lot.)

IJEBU = Derived from Yoruba, Ijebu means non-authentic, a counterfeit. e.g. Dis na ijebu. (This is not authentic.)

That's all for now.

Signing off,
The Traveller

No comments: