Saturday, December 10, 2011

Brownie's Species!

I think I've figured out what Brownie is!

Yes, of course we all know that she's a goat, but I think I know what type of goat she is. Brownie is..........................a Nigerian Dwarf Goat! Yes, a Nigerian Dwarf Goat. It's a type of goat which originates in West Africa, and it's supposed to be small and have a very mellow, even attitude. Like Brownie. Also, they're supposed to come in all different types of colors, and they can have spots, pretty much anything. Their colors can change over time, kinda like how Blackhorn Jr.'s turning from black to red. So I'm pretty much convinced that most Nigerian goats are Nigerian Dwarf Goats. Maybe that's why they're called Nigerian Dwarf Goats, because they live in Nigeria. :P I checked the Nigerian Dwarf Goat Association website and I think it's ironic that even though they're called Nigerian Dwarf Goats, banners that they have on the site are all red white and blue. Why is this? Well, I did a bit of background research and discovered that Nigerian Dwarf Goats were taken from West Africa in the early 1900s and brought to America for feed for zoos who needed meat for the tigers and such. Disgusting. I know. And then, after a while, they noticed that the goats were actually pretty gentle and kind so they thought, "hey, why don't we stop feeding them to the lions and keep them for milking?" So the Nigerian Dwarf Goat gained it's popularity in the States, that's why there were American flags all over the site. A short little history lesson that will probably never help with any history pop quiz. Well, at least you learned something today.

Signing off,
The Traveler

No comments: