Saturday, December 17, 2011

Insects in the Yard

We're about to go to a wedding so I have to cut this post pretty short,

But anyway, I just noticed that I've always talked about the animals or plants in the yard but never the bugs. I'm gonna fix that now. I've written enough about soldier ants in the past, so I'm not gonna mention them for now. What I'm focusing on right now are the mini-bees. They're bees, but super-duper small. Like really small like gnats. That's how small they are; they act like bees except they make their home in the door-frame for our back door instead of in trees. They don't make a real hive, cuz the outsides are brown and smooth, and there isn't any shape to them. And if you actually open the hive up, you'll find pretty sweet honey, but because the bees are so small you can get like a spoonful from each hive. And the bees sting, just like their bigger cousins. And they hurt! It's probably worse than a bigger bee's sting, because there are more of them, like hundreds. So it's pretty bad. And the crazy part is that they look like gnats, because they're small and black, so you'll be aggravating them and you'll have no idea what you're messing around with!

Signing off,
The Traveler

No comments: