Monday, September 12, 2011

Game Night Today


(Because of internet speeds I wasn't able to post this on time, so this is actually a few weeks old. :P)
We’re having another Game Night today,

And we’re thinking of barbecueing again. It doesn’t sound like much, barbecueing at a party and all, does it? Well, in Nigeria, there is no such thing as a “barbeque chicken” or anything like that. You can only buy barbecue in special stores (definitely not in the market), I don’t even remember seeing a grill anywhere to use. Yeah, so barbecue is not a part of everyday Nigerian life and culture; but I tell you, where we are, in the center of the Yoruba people, I can definitely say one thing about the Yorubas: they like meat. A LOT. You can find jerky-like meat called suya, meat which they call “meat”(?!) which Americans call beef…all type of stuff. And almost all of it is fried till it’s about the tenderness of a rock. A really hard rock. I really have no idea how I or they eat it. I remember when we first came here, and I think I almost broke my jaw trying to chew it. Are you a fan of Jawbreakers? Then come here to Nigeria, and if you aren’t vegetarian, go ask for a cube of beef with that rice and stew; you are going to meet your match!

Signing off,
 The Traveller

No comments: