Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Mediocre Selection of Channels

My baby sister’s watching Jungle Junction right now.

The Jungle Junction episodes from like 300 years ago. And the Disney Junior channel shows from like 300 years ago. Okay, well actually most of the overseas shows broadcasted here are from 300 years ago. My parents say that it’s like that because the TV company that we’re subscribed to doesn’t want to buy the more expensive, more recent seasons of the shows, so they just buy the really really old seasons. It’s like I’m watching the same exact episodes that I was watching in the states. That was 2 years ago! And not only that, but one of my favorite channels, Nickelodeon, for some reason, is not in any of the TV company’s subscription packages. So my baby sister has a choice: either she watches Disney Junior, or she’s watching Kids Co. That’s it. You know, I had never even heard of a channel called Kids Co. till we came to Nigeria. And it’s the creepiest kids channel that I’ve ever seen. It’s an international kids channel that shows strange animated movies (Cinderella, the non-Disney version) that were done in the 80’s, and all of the movies are made in Russia, and all of the animations look the same. And the characters mouths are slightly open all the time. The shows are even creepier; some of the things that they’re playing are so old that my parents will come in the room and see it and say, “oh yeah I remember that show!” They have that Nintendo Game Master show (the only reason I know about it is because I remembered reading about it in an edition of Wired), and some shows that I had never heard of in my life. And there are 2 rules for Kids Co. shows: #1. The shows must have been canceled by the latest 2001, and #2. They must be super creepy and all look the same. Well, you can see where my thoughts lie on Kids Co., but seriously, the TV companies should do better. Actually, wait I take that back; keep on giving us shows from 1458 companies; we’ll have even more time to read a book.

Signing off,
The Traveler

P.S. I was planning on posting this yesterday but my internet was down so I had to post it today.

No comments: