Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ibadan

We just went to Ibadan, a city close to Ife. Ibadan is much bigger than Ife, and Ife is bigger than Durham NC, the city we used to live in. Ibadan's streets are wider than the ones in Ife, but they really need them. We got in a huge traffic jam with all kinds of cars honking and everything. It was actually pretty fun, because then Igot to see the details of the city.
    Ibadan doesn't really look like lagos (I'll post more pics of Lagos later on), but it feels almost as big and as bustling! The town we're living in is Ife, and it's really nice. Hundreds of shops are lined up, back to back, on the road. The shops are really cool, because you can find practically anything in one place. The only problems I see with Ife is that there seems to be no entertainment places like movie theaters and the like.
    Lagos is much bigger than Ife and nothing like it. The buildings are much more solid and they have all kinds of entertainment. The only problem with Lagos is that it's too smoggy, too much traffic, too many people, and too much heat. Ibadan is a mix between the two. It's really big like Lagos (but not as big as it), but it looks a lot more like Ife.
    Soon we're also going to be meeting the Vice Chancellor of OAU, so then we talk about business ideas. My mother and father wnat to start a movie theater in Ife so the students won't be dying of boredom.
    So every thing is going along great, and for you Americans out there, if I say in my blog, for instance 'I'm eating chips,' I'm actually saying, 'I'm eating fries.' And if I say, 'I'm eating crisps tonight,' I actually mean, 'I'm eating chips tonight.' You see, Nigeria was influenced a lot by British culture, and those are how the british say fries and chips. Just something you might want to know!

Signing off,
The Traveler

No comments: