Sunday, April 15, 2012

Rock Cakes are Rocky

My birthday's coming up soon.

It's on April 28th. My sister's is April 27th. She's four years younger than me...paradoxical paradox. But anyway we're having a joint birthday party. We're having it at this restaurant in Osogbo called Ostrich Bakery with breads muffins and all of that sort of stuff. But what I really want from them is a birthday cake. Problem is though is that we're afraid. You see, most of the cakes that we've had here in Nigeria are so crappy it's unbelievable. I must have made a post about that somewhere. Seriously though they are bad. About two years ago my Dad had gotten somebody to bake a chocolate cake for my Mom's birthday. He would've done it himself but we didn't and still don't have a working oven. So the place he went to get it done was on OAU, in the department that deals with baking and chemistry and all that stuff. The woman that was making it for us promised us that the chocolate cake would be moist and delicious. She said she knew baking like the back of her hand! So we were super happy when we took the cake back home and saw how great the icing looked and all that junk. So we were gonna let my Mom cut the cake. At first we thought she was playing; she kept trying to push the knife through the cake. My Dad had to go and push as hard as he could for it finally to give way. That was when we knew something was wrong. I didn't have any of it but my family said it tasted something like hard rock earth. Yeah. So we're not taking chances anymore. Before we agreed to anything this time we asked for a sample of one of their cakes at the Ostrich Bakery. The man who we were talking to assured us that this cake is a lot softer than the normal Nigerian ones. We tried it and we wondered if Nigerians had a sense of taste. :( Luckily we found another type which is somewhat better, so we're telling the Ostrich Bakery people to make that. What's with the rock cakes?!

Signing off,
The Traveler