Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Internet

Since being here because of us lacking in internet connectivity I have been able to realize how much we depend on the internet.
In America I did not think about internet connections. It was the last thing that I would have ever thought about. But amazingly I was accessing the internet all of the time. The connection part became almost invisible. Now though I notice our internet a lot because it usually doesn't work anyway. We're happy when we get 45 kilobytes per second! For those of you who don't know what that means, it means that Facebook can take ages to load. Fortunately the speeds have been improving over the months yet I still remember when we first came here and we could barely ever access the internet. And now Microsoft has released a public beta for their next version of Windows: Windows 8. I'm using it right now. And now that I'm using the new features I can see that in a few years from now the difference between the internet and real-life will blur until there will be no separation. Almost all of the features in this new Windows uses internet to retrieve information. Even the replacer of Windows Media Player, the Music App, uses the internet so you can buy songs right in your music library! What next?! And what's next for countries like Nigeria where getting access to a high speed internet connection is a very hard feat? Will they be left in the dust, not able to access information as quickly and easily as the rest of the world? Hopefully the internet connection will keep on getting faster or else...it won't be good.

Signing off,
The Traveler