Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Maybe I'm Just Outta the Loop But...

...am I the only person who didn't know that plantains are giant leaves?

My parents own a plantain farm in the BACKYARD backyard, and I went back there today with my Dad to go and prune the plants or whatever it's called when you chop off the dead parts. Plantains look weak to me, IMO. They're just tall stalks with a lot of brown dead skins covering them. A lot of their leaves shrivel up and die and just hang off of them. And even the healthy leaves look sorta wither-ishy. My Dad says they're really really hardy. He just says we gotta do all this chopping off all the dead parts stuff because we want the biggest fruit we can get from them. I'm pretty excited but already I'm a bit disappointed. About a year ago when we had the chicken farm (I posted about that, search for chicken farm) I thought we would have so much chicken on the dinner table I wouldn't know what to do with myself. This was such an untrue moment, it was absolutely unbelievable. Instead of getting chicken galore we had to watch all of it get sold to the customers. We probably ate maybe seven out of the hundreds of darn chickens that we were selling to everyone else! I think it's gonna be another one of those situations when the plantains start bearing fruit. I love plantain. I love fried plantain (dodo), I love plantains made into chips (ibekere). I love it ALL. But unfortunately for me the rest of the country does as well. :0 So what am I supposed to do? I'm just gonna have to be tortured and watch all of the plump fruits be sold to a whole bunch of people I don't even know. Or maybe I'll wait until the minute the plantains are ripe, snatch them all up, fry in them in the middle of the night, and eat them all selfishly. And then the next day I'll probably throw up for three hours straight from grease overload. I might have to reboot myself after that. NOT COOL.


Signing off,
The Traveler