Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Dog. He's Big.

Ok, the title's not accurate.

It's more like: "AH! YOUR DOG IS TOO FRIGGIN BIG! HE COULD CHOP MY HEAD OFF!!!" Yeah, that's more like it. The exclamations in capital letters are what Nigerians usually say when they stroll into the yard and see Shep. I posted a few pics of him about...forever ago. He's grown. A lot. When I mean a lot, I mean "people who are afraid of dogs, don't try to imagine what he looks like" a lot. Like bigger than big itself. Bigger than...I can't tell you how big. Ok. I've exaggerated. But on a serious note here, Nigerians are really afraid of dogs for reasons that I can not understand. It's like they have some sort of repulsion to them. And they'll be all like "HAHA YOU CAN'T GET ME" but for example if Shep was let loose in the yard then they'd be screaming their butts off. My Dad claims humorously that if the police tried to search your car and you had a    German Shepherd (or Alsatian if you're British) in the trunk then they'd just let you go right on your way. Even with all of their machine guns and all that. I don't know what happened. It's not that every Nigerian doesn't own a dog. There are quite a few who do. There's actually this breed of local dog which we have named the Local Dog breed. Yes, I know, we put a lot of effort into our names for things. The problem is though is that most Nigerians beat their dogs all the time :(. Positive reinforcement hasn't come to Nigeria yet! There was actually this one girl who I met who said she wanted a dog so I was all like "Ok" and then she looked all confused when I said that I'd be back after I walked my dog and she asked me "Why do you do that?" This is the girl who wants a dog. Go figure that one out. Then tell me. It'll save me the trouble.

Signing off,
The Traveler