Thursday, February 10, 2011

*bleep* business is serious business

There are a lot of vulgar words out there; some are misused, or are used in inappropriate situations.

Well in 9ja, there is one curse word that is used VERY inappropriately. It's the one that is another way of saying feces; starts with s, ends with t. Four letter word. And it is used so normally, you'd think it might be a word like sun or clouds! Here's an example, one time we were watching the tv, and there was an ad on about deluxe porta-potties (which is pretty gross), and I don't remember the company's name, but at the end, they said their motto: @#%& business, is serious business. Whoa. That woke us up. It was used correctly, definition-wise, but come on! This was national tv here! Not a very child-friendly ad, I think. And people will use it just like that. One time my friend's dad was trying to do a joke, so he said, "ooh, I need to #%$*, I really need to )@*%." So he pretended to take the remote to something to wipe his butt. See, in Nigeria, I don't think that curse words have the same potency as in America. People just say %^&# when they wanna go. I've also noticed that Nigerians who are trying to be all cool curse on purpose. I guess they got this notion that to be cool you gotta curse from American movies. Like there was this one guy that my friends here were introducing me too, and just out of the blue, using it like a mild interjection like mm-hmm, or huh, he said %&*#.  That gave me another shock. Also, there's this other guy that works for us with the chicken farm and everything, and one time he said, "my phone is ^%#$@#$ me up." My Dad told him off then, because he said it in front of me and my sisters. He looked pretty embarassed after that. I think that curse words have different meanings here, and that's why I saw that very strange motto on tv.

Signing off,
The Traveler

No comments: