Thursday, November 3, 2011

WRO Problems

I would've posted yesterday if it hadn't been for the freaking internet connection.

I don't exaggerate when I say that it hadn't worked for the whole day. We couldn't get to one single site. But this isn't the only thing that I'm angry with. Remember the post just before this one, the one called WRO Excitement? Well, I'm still excited about the competition, but I'm not happy at all with the Nigerian side of it. When I won, they said that my team and I would go to Dubai to represent Nigeria. Now the team includes the coach and everything, right? Well, at the last minute they tell us that they're not paying for the coach. Or the teachers. Or any adults. Just the KIDS. So how are we supposed to navigate ourselves through the airport, to the hotel, out of the hotel and all that junk? I'm not joking, they actually expected for the kids to go on their own. Now that's just disrespectful and shameful in so many ways. But it's not only this. For the competition in Lagos, we had built a robot for a specific section of the competition called the robot recycler. When we get back to Ife to go and improve on the design for Dubai (cause you would assume that what we were going to do again) the Nigerian company who's sponsoring all this tells us we can't do the robot recycler. Now we have to do something completely different. Not only that, but my father's the coach of my team. They want my father to coach two teams for two completely different sections of the competition. And they're STILL not paying for his ticket. Honestly, they're not giving him any support at all, whatsoever. They say they can't pay for the coach's ticket, so then why is it, that some people who aren't doing anything related to the team or the competition are coming to Dubai with us? Where did they get their money? Are you beginning to understand the problem now? Nigeria wants to go to an international competition for a few reasons. The first is that the people want to go to Dubai. The second is that they wanna say when it's all over that Nigeria was a part of an international competition. But honestly, I really think they don't actually care about any of this. If it's gonna be like this next year, I'm not participating.

Signing off,
The Traveler

No comments: