Sunday, March 6, 2011

STUDENTS, REBELLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Revolution!!!

What am I talking about? There are barely any students on the OAU (Obafemi Awolowo University) campus in the middle of the semester! Why? Well, all of a sudden, the people who run the university decide to make the fee to enter from 2,000 Naira (13 USD), to 20,000 Naira (130 USD)! Huge jump, right? The students got pretty angry about that, so they went on strike, which turned into full on rebellion against the campus. Rebellion = knocking down poles, burning tires at the entrances so no one can come in (or out), fighting with the security guards, and when it gets really bad, battling the army. Luckily, it didn't reach that extent, but from what I heard it got pretty bad. These security guards were threatening the students that they would beat them if they didn't stop wreaking havoc, and they didn't listen. So some of the guards beat a group of students, and then, they got ANGRY. The students started beating the security guards; they hurt one so bad, that I think they had to take him to the hospital or something (I don't really remember the whole story). That was when OAU said if they didn't get off the campus in 3 days, the army was gonna come in, with guns. As you would expect, they got out. I remember seeing lines and lines of them on the sides of the streets with their backpacks, standing there. Things have calmed down now, and the army didn't have to come. I think the rioting might still be happening but I'm not sure. I don't live on the campus. I just hope the community around us doesn't get any ideas from the people on the university!

Signing Off,
The Traveler

No comments: