Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pup Training

Shep just got his vaccinations today, which I bet was extremely painful. Apparently, I was asleep while he got them, so I had no idea what had happened until my sister came in with a new harness and leash that the vet had given us. Talk about a rude awakening! So anyway, I put it on him so he'd get used to it, and he was surprisingly calm. I think it was the magic of the shots, cause that's just out of character for Shep to be calm. He still ate with the same gusto though (Weetabix and milk. Yummy), and licked the plate clean. The hens were fighting with him though, tentatively taking pecks from his tiny blue food plate. I made sure to chase them well whenever I saw them attempting to do this, but they just wouldn't back off. I even caught one and they still wouldn't leave the Weetabix alone! Well, he likes his new leash, and I've taken him on a few practice walks and stuff. He's doing well. Also, one of the people who works for us thought that Shep could understand English! It's not that surprising if you're in his shoes. You see, here in 9ja, people do not train their dogs. They don't even see them as pets. Dogs and cats are on the same level of recognition as goats and hens, and just like those other species do, the dogs run wild wherever they want. One time, this female mutt just strolled right into our yard, sniffed around, and trotted right back out! So when this guy saw that I could just tell the dog, "Shep Sit," and the Alsatian would put his butt on the ground, he was more than amazed. It was a little shocking for him to be surprised that Shep couldn't understand English, and I had to explain to him the training process, which most Nigerians and pet-less Americans have no experience in. Now, all I have to do is train my parents to do what I want!

Signing off,
The Traveler

No comments: