Saturday, October 31, 2009

Crazy Roads!

Hello Everyone,

Well, I've recovered and everything is going excellently. Now I didn't say according to plans, just that things were going well. More on that later. Anyway, I had a lot of fun today. We're in Lagos staying with a friend and we're going to go to our real home (in Nigeria), in the town of Ile-Ife on Tuesday. Until then, we'll keep xploring t5he city of Lagos. We drove out today with one of our relatives driving us (we're sooo lucky). The streets are C-R-A-Z-Y. People will walk right in front of you, they could be five inches away from your bumper, they don't care. Cars are weaving in and out of traffic, nearly bumping you into who-knows-where. At some points, I almost gasped. We were driving in the congested street, with shops melding into shops on the sides, when a man came and rapped on our car. So then my relative asked him what his problem was, and he said a rapid string of Yoruba, one of the native languages of Nigeria. My father then told me that he said that he didn't want us to drive that way, or something like that. It was really fun riding on the streets. Like they say getting there is only half the fun. Anyway, we went to the Lagos University, or Uni Lag, and it was a nice break from the hustle and bustle in the city. Have you heard of UMass? It's a university in Amherst Massachusetts. Like Uni Lag, it's secluded and peaceful, and most the people you see walking around are students. Also Uni Lag has a nice park. The park is on a swamp near the longest bridge in Nigeria that goes over a large body of water. We also had the best fast food I have ever tasted. Unlike like american fast food places that sell fried chicken and french fries and hamburgers, the Nigerian Fast Food places sell spicy unfried chicken with coke or 5alive, a Nigerian drink. When I say spicy I don't mean american "Spicy hot sauce" or "super hot chicken wings", I mean a paste drizzled on chicken made of chopped chilis and jalepenos and the like. Once you have it, you can never go back to blandish tasting McDonalds. After that, we got out some delicious sugar cane from one the people that were running out on the street trying to sell the things. To eat sugar cane, you bite into it, chew it, then spit out the leftover fibers. After we got back on the road back to our friends house. That was when madness happened. These people called self aqccainting police men will get into the road and "Conduct traffic", but really they're just trying to cause choas. Literally.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Xplorer,

Your adventures in Lagos and its "crazy roads" sound really exciting. I did not know that the vaccine was making you that sick. I'm glad that's over with.

Sounds like you are definitely not missing Micky D's. You are making me hungry, even as I eat these chicken nuggets (as you know, my cooking is not exactly world-renowned or sought after).

I look forward to reading your next blog. Say hello to everyone!!

Love,
Aunt A.